[aprssig] Sharp Zaurus ZR-5000 for APRS messaging

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Wed Sep 17 21:34:06 EDT 2008

--- "J. Gary Bender, WS5N" <ws5n at wildblue.net> wrote:

> IIRR, Sharp did not make it easy to program.  The
> developer's kit was outrageously expensive.  If I
> find anything promising, I'll post something here.
> I am a retired programmer (assembly language to C),
> so I have a decent shot at making it work, if the
> tools are available.

I read somewhere that not only was the price of the
SDK through the roof, but Sharp made to attend some
kind of program that was several days and you had to
prove that you were capable of writing decent apps for
the platform.  I have no idea how much of that is
true, but that may have a lot to do with why it never
really took off.

As I stated in another post, I would have thought by
now, the SDK would have been leaked to the internet
for legacy users and developers.  I mean come on,
Sharp dropped the line and they don't support them
anymore.

I have two 5800's in great shape, so I would love to
put them to APRS use.  I have four more 5800 units,
with various problems that I picked up for parts.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com