[aprssig] (Slightly OT) What is solar panel power output?

bob evinger wd9eka at evinger.com
Tue Sep 9 18:45:29 EDT 2008

actually those numbers tell a lot. Solar panels are current sources. That
amp rating is short ciruit current, and the current it will provide into a
battery with proper sized wire should be slightly less.

The preferred testing method of a new panel when recieved, and also one of
the easiest ways to verify solar alignment is to disconnect it fron the
battery and put an ammeter directly across the panels leads(ammeter has to
be rated for greater than the peak output of the panel) then adjust angle
for highest current at noon, assuming a fixed panel mount. If the panels
are adjustable then it is best to do this for at least summer winter. If
the panels are not adjustable, or in a place one cant get to in the
winter, then the more vertical the panel for winter time the better. Snow
will fall off quicker(if in florida disregard :) ).

take the current and you might as well assume 12 volts, that is the power
available effectively if you are using a low end regulator,Pulse width
modulated.

If you have enough panels, it can be worth getting an MPPT(maximum power
point tracking) charge controller but they will cost more than a PWM
controller. They will also harvest another 20-25% more power out of the
panels. THis is because they are dc-dc converters and will keep the panels
voltage at maximum power. With a PWM controller, the FET's open up and the
batteries pull the panel voltage down. On a low battery that may be 11.5
volts. An mppt controller will keep the panels voltage at or near its
rated 16.5 volts and give more available power.

simplest example.  assume a panel capable of 10 amps
with a pwm and the batteries sitting at 11.5 volts there will only be 115
watts available and 10 amps will flow into the battery.

MPPT controller at 16.5 volts and 10 amps going into the controller you
will have 165 watts available, on the output side of the MPPT controller
under these conditions there should be close to 14.3 amps flowing into
the battery. As the battery charges the current out will drop off.

An MPPT controller works quite well. I used PWM controllers for years but
this spring doubled my PV capacity to almost 1000 watts of panels and
replaced my pwm controller with an mppt.

I have about 54 amps of current availalbe if it was just a pwm controller.
I have seen up to about 72 amps charging with the mppt controller during
the 10am - 2pm prime power window. The technology helps more on partly
overcast days and non-peak hours.

Sorry probably way more than most on here wanted to know.