[aprssig] Universal APRS messaging Opportunities!

joe at dellabarba.com joe at dellabarba.com
Wed Oct 29 07:59:20 EDT 2008

I hate to be a wet blanket here, but kids using APRS for texting is not going to happen and you wouldn't like it if it did.
Can you imagine all the
COOL DUDEZ YOU GOT WEED RENTS GONE GTTN LA1D 2NITE LOL traffic?

Most kids have cellphones now. They can send video, photos, and text to each other pretty reliably with no license and they are private. I just don't see the appeal. In the 1980s I could amaze my friends with phone calls from my HT. Not so much now.
73
Joe N3HGB

BTW, my 7 year old thinks ham radio is very cool. Have to see how long it lasts.

This univsersal HAM Radio Text Messaging is what the ARRL
special committee on the future of Amateur Radio requested.
Text messaging for all ham radio.  (Bring in the youth) as well
as a system for emergency contact.

www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

There are lots of opportunities here for lots of programmers and
applications to gateway all of the many text-messaging systems
altogether so that no matter what the device, you can send and
receive amateur radio text messages by callsign address alone.
(APRS-IS provides the backbone).

Here are all the systems identified so far:

APRS messages - send/receive
APRS emails - send
EMAIL->APRS - receive
FINDU/OPENaprs messages - send/receive
DTMF messaging in the FT-51R and TH-78
DCS messaging  in the VX3R, FTM-10R, etc
DTMF messaging in all other DTMF radios (APRStt)
IPHONE applications
Blackberry applications
OLPC (APRSXO) application

Im thinking of seeing if I can put a DTMF/DCS receiver on 146.58
MHz simplex in this area to listen for the non packet formats
and convert over to APRS.  This simplex calling frequency
appears both in the standard ARRL band plans as well as in the
20 KHz band plans in some states.

If we cannot agree on that one, then 146.46, 147.42(ARES),
147.48, or 147.54 could also meet the criteria.

Bob, Wb4APR