[aprssig] TWP Local Info messages etc on a D7

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 09:31:56 EDT 2008

Cheers Brian, much as I thought.

"Wrong use" or not, it's what I (and many others) have, and sadly not
all of us have enough disposable income to finance a D700, let alone a
D710 in addition to (not everyone will want to replace) the portable D7
(It's too useful for other things)

I also suspect with the D7x0's, having to hit the "Details" button is a
bit of a failing in some circumstances, especially when truly mobile in
the cut and thrust of city driving.

There are lot's of good ideas here (this SIG) but sadly many of them to
my mind are not thought through, not just some of the finer details, but
some fundamental problems seem not to be recognised.  Mind you, I've
been there & done all that myself, so I shouldn't complain too much  ;-)

One idea, for those who like poking around things....   There is a well
known "Hack" where you can persuade the steering wheel mounted audio
controls of some models from a well known German car maker, to control
the functions of an iPod.   Perhaps some clever bright spark could
figure out how to use the same, to for example, poke the "Details"
button on a D700/710.

Cheers...

Dave G0WBX (not a German car driver!)

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk