[aprssig] TH-78 and FT-51R APRS radios?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Oct 28 12:46:17 EDT 2008

> Your suggestions using the FT-51R
> are notable... however, these radios
> are no longer available to purchase.

True, but there were over 100,000 of them, so lots of folks have
them, and if our goal is universal ham radio Text Messaging, we
may as well find someone to write the gateway code to let them
send and receive to the APRS system.

> Was wondering if you had researched the
> capabilities of newer radios

Somone also listed earlier FT-11R and FT-41R (can someone
confirm?)

Also, the new VX8R appears to have a "text messaging system"
based on DCS.  Can somone do the research to detail this for us,
so that we can add all those models that have this new DCS
messaging system to the big picture we are trying to create?

My web page on these radios is:
www.aprs.org/FT51-TH78.html

And for Universal Text Messaging is:
www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

Everyone, please help me keep this web page up-to-date, since I
see this as a very important new initiative in APRS to get into
the hands of all ham radio operators, not just the 5% that use
APRS.

Nbob, WB4APR