[aprssig] More on DTMF Messaging

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Wed Oct 8 21:38:31 EDT 2008

> monitoring the APRStt simplex channel (147.51).  Soon your TH78

Whoa!   Where did this frequency selection come from?

It's not a 20k spaced channel.

Both 147.50 and 147.52 are in use in my state - even way out here in
EL17HQ I hear traffic on both, often. It is more used in the Houston and
San Antonio area. With some other problems, (see below) 147.50 may be
unusable due to D-Star.

You should at least pick a frequency which is OK with 15k and 20k band
plans.

Also be aware, there is a proposal here in TX to use these pairs for
D-Star 2m repeaters:

146.450/147.450 MHz
146.460/147.460 MHz
146.470/147.470 MHz
146.480/147.480 MHz
146.490/147.490 MHz

I do not think this is a good idea, and it is not yet in the standards;
yet there are a few (3 that I am aware of, as a non-D-Star user) systems
already on the air on some of these frequencies. So, in TX, the D-Star
useage is reducing the available 2m simplex channels for FM voice.

Further details here:

http://www.txvhffm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=38

Note that this proposal was NOT passed at the August 08 Society meeting.

But it is still under consideration.

--
mwe

   ) )      ( (        ) ) You will be assimilated..oooh, coffee!!
 |****|
( |    |
 |____|mearle at mearle.com

--
      ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
     ( (     Echolink 221408      Grid Square EL17HQ
   `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com