[aprssig] Looking for 9600 baud equipment

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 09:13:39 EDT 2008

It is possible to make a pair of 56k phone line modems work over a radio
link.  I've seen it done at UHF (but not done it myself!)  The link used
was real time analogue both ways, and had at least a 3k audio bandwidth.
I think the link modulation was FM, but I'm not sure on that, it was a
while ago now, it was not a HAM application.

I also know from first hand experience that some of the early GUNN diode
based 10GHz microwave links worked in full duplex, more as a "feature"
than by design, one say 100MHz from the other, and the resulting IF
processed by a "recycled" broadcast FM radio.  Of course, you got your
own outgoing signal too in your ears (because you directly modulated the
GUNN voltage, resulting in your own "local oscilator" being modulated)
nothing a bit of crafty analogue engineering couldn't make manageable of
course.

I suspect you also need to "actively" drive the modems to force them to
re-train and make the link (or fake telephone dial and ring signalling
etc) Looking through the on disk help doc's for the built in modem in
this Tosh laptop, it says there is a command to go "Off Hook" and force
a re-train sequence, but doesn't tell me what the command is,
strangely..   No doubt a bit of web trawling could reveal that info if
needed.

I don't think though it's a technology you can easily use (AFIK) for
"point and squirt" use like APRS.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk