[aprssig] ARES Activation Indicator

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Thu Oct 2 13:24:54 EDT 2008

Bob,
	See below:

	Presumably, when these packets are gated to the local RF network,
skywarn users in the local network will already know what freq to use.
Travelers could benefit from a local object showing the SkyWarn frequency in
the local area.

	However, in metropolitan areas, there may be multiple Skywarn nets
activated during a severe wx event and there can be coverage overlap.  In
the Chicago Metropolitan Area it would require maybe 10 Skywarn Freq objects
to cover all nets.  A WIDE digi may need to originate multiple Skywarn Freq
objects to cover all nets within its primary coverage area.

	Presently, the WxSvr Hazardous Weather Outlook object uses the
Skywarn icon ( /y ) to indicate likely Skywarn activation.  When activation
is not expected, the ( O/W ) icon (green circle with letter "O") is used.
This allows users to glance at an APRS map to determine if activation is
likely or not.  In order to reduce the likelyhood of confusion, it may be
desireable to use something other than the Skywarn icon for Skywarn freq
objects.

Bill KC9XG