[aprssig] Weird characters from station VKA

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Nov 30 20:03:48 EST 2008

While monitoring a station in Canada on the APRS-IS stream to help a
user debug a problem there, I saw a packet come through with a report
from VKA in Australia that had one of the Canadian packets tacked onto
the end.

Checking on findu, I see that there's a non-printable character at the
end of every packet from VKA.  Presumably something out there is getting
confused by this.  Findu itself doesn't show the concatenated packets,
but it's there on the APRS-IS.  Perhaps it's a null character and findu
thinks it's the end of the string, while the IS servers get confused and
pass it along with the next line?

I'll monitor VKA and see if I can figure out what exactly it's sending.

Scott
N1VG