[aprssig] Weird characters from station VKA

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Nov 30 21:37:49 EST 2008

Warning: this reply uses the term packet to mean TCP/IP packet, while
line refers to a single piece of APRS data. This could be confusing
because that data is sent is a single AX-25 packet!

First, if you didn't know, findU gets its data from the APRS IS. In
other words, findU's parser is seeing the same data as whatever you
are using to see the data.

How do you determine that the packet is passed along "with the next
line"? There is a way, by looking at the actual packets sent by the
APRS IS, which places each line of APRS data in a single TCP/IP
packet. That packetization is transparent to the end user application
though, you would need to capture the raw TCP packets to see if this
is really the case. The user's OS joins these packets into a serial
stream of data, and it is up to the program (or development
environment) to turn the stream into lines of data. Whether two (or a
hundred) consecutive lines of data are passed in a single TCP/IP
packet makes no difference to the user application.

findU gets the data one line (there may be one or many lines in a
single TCP/IP packet, or one line may be split between multiple
packets) at a time using the Perl IO:Socket module. What I think is
happening is you are using some other method to access the data, and
this is the reason appears different to you and findU.

NPC at the end of lines have caused problems with APRS data before.
findU and many other clients strip away such characters.

Steve K4HG