[aprssig] Interesting setup ... but will it work?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri Nov 28 19:46:40 EST 2008

Arte Booten wrote:
> Ahh, I forgot to mention that I'd want to run an APRS client also.
> Would UI-View run on such an ancient (Pentium "I") machine faster
> than at a snail's pace?

    I've been watching this thread with interest.  Arte, if you can get
UI-View to run and operate through those two boards, then you can easily
set up whatever digi paths you wish -- VHF->VHF, HF->VHF, etc.  Each one
will require a separate line, so you get total control of whatever
cross-banding you want to have, or not have.  But get UI-View working
with them first, if you can.

    Here's some info from <http://www.ui-view.org/>

>     UI-View32
>
> *UI-View32 is a 32 bit version* and so needs a 32 bit version of
> Windows - Win95, Win98, WinME, Win2000, WinXP. *It is for registered
> users only, and has many extra features compared to UI-View(16)*. If
> you are unfamiliar with UI-View32, you can try UI-View(16), but unless
> your hardware doesn't meet the minimum specs for UI-View32, the 32 bit
> version is recommended. The absolute minimum hardware spec to run
> UI-View32 is a P120 with Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 or XP. If you run it
> on anything less than that, then it will be very slow. Don't expect to
> be able to run PMapServer7 on a P120. Undertow's
> <http://www.undertowsoftware.com?AID=172> own "minimum spec" is for a
> 200 MHz Pentium, but you will get better performance by running it on
> a more capable machine. A 500 MHz machine will run PMapServer7 a lot
> more smoothly than one that only just meets the minimum requirements.

    Looks like you just might be able to run UI-View on your Pentium,
but don't try the fancy maps.

    7 3
    Earl

--