[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 53, Issue 25

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Fri Nov 28 11:07:44 EST 2008

On 11/28/2008 Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> Charlie KG2V wrote...

>> Which is why I took my station off RF totally - it's ONLY on iNet now

> That's too bad. you could still be on RF and either not beacon (beacon
> rate 0) or set it to a reasonable 30 minutes and either no path at all,
> or a single hop WIDE2-1.
I was talking weather -

>> there is a nasty RF hole to the north of me - with my digi down (which
>> it has been for 1-2 years now)., but in the other say 270 degs I'm
>> just QRM - the question is - put it back up, and fill the hole, or,
>> cut down the QRM? NYC has way too much QRM as it is, it's just that
>> there are holes everywhere, due to hills and man made canyons

> Of course, if it's a KPC-3+ it could beacon direct with no
> path most of the time, once each hour with a one hop path and once each
> hour with a two hop path. Not too much QRM there.

Actually, it was a KPC3 (no +) and the rev I have is old - the radio burned out, and I have not replaced it

> It would be better off if the "fill-in" digis were down in the same hole
> were coverage is poor. However, if you live near such a hole, you can
> still help out if you can be heard by at least one WIDEn-N digi. Good
> locations for fill-in digis are in the valleys and concrete canyons,
> right where the coverage is needed.

I'm basically on the ridge facing into the hole - and that's part of the problem - my coverage to the rest of the 270 is way too large - what I should do is put up a directional antenna, which would solve the problem, or get one of the repeater sites in the next county over to put up a fill in - make a MUCH better digi, and there are talks of doing so

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

"Think about how dumb the average person is. Now consider that half of the world is even dumber than that. "
 -- kevin at kombat.acadiau.ca