[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 53, Issue 25

Patrick winston at winston1.net
Fri Nov 28 11:34:08 EST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:07:44 -0500, Charlie Gallo wrote
> On 11/28/2008 Keith VE7GDH wrote:
>
> I was talking weather -

I've never understood the 1m weather updates...  I mean 99.995% of the time, does it
really change that quickly in a minute?  Honestly now people..

> I'm basically on the ridge facing into the hole - and that's part of the
> problem - my coverage to the rest of the 270 is way too large - what I should
> do is put up a directional antenna, which would solve the problem, or get one
> of the repeater sites in the next county over to put up a fill in - make a
> MUCH better digi, and there are talks of doing so

As Tony mentioned, we have a lot of issue with our local RF coverage..  To the APRS-IS
network we have 90+% receive of mobile stations.  However on RF we're lucky if we get
solid receive 50% of the time even though we've got amazing digi coverage.

This is what I'm looking to patch..  What are people's experiences with "encouraging"
people who are causing trouble to the network to help resolve it?  I mean I know that
there's various levels which it could be handled, but the problem with a decentralized
network such as aprs is that anyone can add to the problem, and doesn't HAVE to be
courteous to the other users...