[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 53, Issue 25

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Nov 28 10:19:53 EST 2008

Charlie KG2V wrote...

> Which is why I took my station off RF totally - it's ONLY on iNet now

That's too bad. you could still be on RF and either not beacon (beacon
rate 0) or set it to a reasonable 30 minutes and either no path at all,
or a single hop WIDE2-1.

> there is a nasty RF hole to the north of me - with my digi down (which
> it has been for 1-2 years now)., but in the other say 270 degs I'm
> just QRM - the question is - put it back up, and fill the hole, or,
> cut down the QRM? NYC has way too much QRM as it is, it's just that
> there are holes everywhere, due to hills and man made canyons

If you there is an RF hole there or nearby, consider setting up a
WIDE1-1 digi to help the mobile stations. it should be low power... just
enough to be reliably heard by at least one WIDEn-N digi. No need to try
and reach every WIDEn-N digi within a hundred miles. It should respond
to WIDE1-1 only. Its own beacon could have no path at all, or a single
hop WIDE2-1. Of course, if it's a KPC-3+ it could beacon direct with no
path most of the time, once each hour with a one hop path and once each
hour with a two hop path. Not too much QRM there.

It would be better off if the "fill-in" digis were down in the same hole
were coverage is poor. However, if you live near such a hole, you can
still help out if you can be heard by at least one WIDEn-N digi. Good
locations for fill-in digis are in the valleys and concrete canyons,
right where the coverage is needed.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH