[aprssig] Status of the TH-D7A

K7FTP k7ftp at commtechreview.net
Thu May 29 05:57:30 EDT 2008

I am including the original post from Dayton with the information.  The ARRL
also had a gentleman blogging and he asked Kenwood about the merger with
JVC.  They indicated that at this time it they don't see it impacting their
amateur radio products.

The best intel available says that a Kenwood replacement HT is 8-12 months
out at least, they don't have internal approval to build yet.

We went ahead and bought two of the D7A(g) radios from AES in Las Vegas.  We
wanted the integrated display that shows distance and bearing which Kenwood
supports.  It also kept things common with the Kenwood TM-D700A in our
Project Jeep.  http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep

The new Yaesu VX-8r radio is about as small as their others - a negative in
my opinion - and the Bluetooth implementation (which apparently requires an
extra module) is supposed to only support headsets, not GPS or serial.  The
price point won't be dramatically lower than the D7A(g), and add in the BT
module, etc...

Here is the original post.

-----
On thing I find is when it comes to rumors, they really depend on who you
talk with.  Friday morning, I talked with a Kenwood guy about the HT.  It
seems the problem, as with so many rigs, is that parts are drying up,
necessitating a new design.  In the case of the D-7, it is a tiny
transistor.  They have enough for repair, but not enough to continue
production beyond what is in the pipeline.  There is a replacement, 8-12
months at best, and not officially approved for production.

Of course you may hear something completely different on Saturday, and again
something different on Sunday.

Alan
WA4SCA