[aprssig] I-80 Ohio/IN and D710 objects

Greenhalgh, Christopher K. cgreenhalgh at studentaffairs.osu.edu
Wed May 28 07:53:11 EDT 2008

> This is just the digi announcing it's own presence.
>
> What the discussion is about is having one of the beacon strings
> announce the location of an open voice repeater repeater with
> coverage
> approximately the same as the digipeater's.    Ideally this should be
> beaconed on a direct path, or at maximum only one digi hop,
> and should
> contain the repeater's location (coordinates so it will show
> on a map),
> frequency and tone code (if any).
>

> The idea to make travelers aware of the recommended voice repeater as
> they pass through the coverage area of your digi,  when they
> are close
> enough to actually hit it; not a hundred miles away.

I got it...so this aids APRS (display) radios only. I'm curious...with
all this talk about keeping transmissions short, I wonder how the scale
of benefit-to-bandwidth would read...at least in my area.

I'm in Columbus, Ohio, and know just about all the local users, and not
one has an APRS radio, however, I do see mobile stations "passing
through" on I-70, but cant confirm what radio they are using.

When I'm on the road, I always carried a pocket repeater directory...it
has served me fine over the years.  :)

Just some thoughts...

...73, Chris.