[aprssig] I-80 Ohio/IN and D710 objects

Jesse (KC5LOS) kc5los at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 10:52:54 EDT 2008

Chris, you are correct as it aids the mobile community that has a
display. but its not limited to the D710/700/7a users. I know a few that
run laptops connected to a TNC that run UI-View/WinAPRS and some that
run Xastir on a mobile/laptop computer. Also, with the Tracker2 units it
has the ability to relay back to a Garmin/Nuvi. Then you have the AvMap
users also.

One thing that we brought up a few weeks ago locally during a Hurex
Drill was the fact that I came in, brought a small laptop with a TNC and
within 10 mins of the drill I had locations of the my local repeaters
and points of intrest of the area. I also had statuses of the IRLPs in
the area and where they were connected. I also had the "local" winlink
info as well. Granted I had this as a mobile user as well while
traveling to the Drill but the info was there.

Just the extra stuff not published in your repeater directory.... AND I
also carry a directory as well. Just in case! Even though its 10 years old.

Most are setting up objects of the local repeaters that are the most
active. Atleast from areas that I have seen. I have also come across
repeaters out in the middle of nowhere that unless I mapped my route I
would have never known they were there because of the Beacon on APRS.

Just a few thoughts.....

Jess