[aprssig] I-80 Ohio/IN and D710 objects

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 27 17:48:32 EDT 2008

> What the discussion is about is having one of the
> beacon strings announce the location of an
> open voice repeater repeater with coverage
> approximately the same as the digipeater's.

Actually, If I could clarify that wording a bit.  I would
suggest a slight re-phrasing of that sentence.  I think a better
interpretation of what we are trying to accomplish is:

" ... To announce the location of the best open travelers
repeater that is reachable within the coverage area of this
digi."

Notice the emphasis is not on the Voice repeater's coverage, but
on the DIGI's coverage and its users.  It is the digi informing
its users (in its coverage area) of what is the best likelyhood
of a voice repeater to use in this digi's footprint.

It is not trying to get the Voice frequency splattered all over
the coverage area of that voice repeater.

> ... this should be beaconed on a direct path,
> or at maximum only one digi hop,

I would disagree with the "one hop"...  This gives rise to these
objects showing up in areas where they cannot be used.  The
intent of these objects was always *direct* only.  For many
reasons:

1) By definition, (above) it is not the repeater's coverage we
are trying to "fill".  It  is the DIGI's coverage we are trying
to "inform".  And that is *only* direct.

2) These must only be originated at the digi (direct) so that
they add no load to the system.  The digi listens first, and it
is the only receiver in the footprint of that digi, that can
send this packet when (and only when) there is no other traffic
in that digi's footprint.

3) These frequency objects should never be originated at a home
station via any hops.  These home packets have many problems!
A) they collide with other traffic on the digi input
B) they use the home station path (usually W2-2)
C) They then block other users
D) they cover areas far beyond their value.

> The idea to make travelers aware of the recommended
> voice repeater as they pass through the coverage area
> of your digi,  when they are close
> enough to actually hit it; not a hundred miles away.

Exactly.  Thanks.
Bob, Wb4APR