[aprssig] APRS needs... (Part II)

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 05:51:52 EDT 2008

--- Dale Seaburg <kg5lt at verizon.net> wrote:
> For a while, I was getting into hacking the ZipIt IM
> device.

> --------------------------
> In addition to the references that Jason gave, it
> appears that ZipIt Wireless is encouraging hacking
> (collaborating) of the latest version (Z2):
> linux.zipitwireless.com

Lacking a market for a clamshell device on
144.39/144.800 MHz, what APRS (and Amateur Radio in
general) needs is a Wi-Fi to 2-meter (or 70cm, or
whatever) gateway.  Properly designed, it would open
the Wi-Fi device world to Amateur Radio use.  Once on
an Amateur frequency, it could be routed anywhere.

How? Maybe a Wi-Fi daughter board for an existing
hand-held transceiver?

Plant one at home, install one in the car.  Take your
ham-hacked ZipIt wherever you go.

Ev, W2EV