[aprssig] APRS needs...

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Tue May 27 22:04:54 EDT 2008

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 12:11:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jason Rausch <jason at ke4nyv.com>
Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS needs...

For a while, I was getting into hacking the ZipIt IM
device.

Decent sized graphic LCD, QWERTY keyboard, built-in
Wifi and even has a serial port with the addon of an
ST202 IC.  The really cool part...it runs on embedded
linux.  However, I am too crummy of a programmer to do
anything with it on my own.

They have a new color, backlit version now:

http://www.zipitwireless.com/

Not sure if it still runs Linux.

In addition to the references that Jason gave, it appears that ZipIt
Wireless is encouraging hacking (collaborating) of the latest version
(Z2):
linux.zipitwireless.com

Might be a possible platform, still.  Has a QVGA (240x320) color
screen, keyboard, miniSD slot (up to 8Gb), PXA270 processor and
hardware connector for future expansion.

Dale.  KG5LT