Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] YaesuVX-8R)]

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Wed May 21 19:38:18 EDT 2008

  While in the net end result it wound up being a brand advertisement
for Kenwood, the primary reason was that the radios (D7, D700, and now
the D710) identifed themselves to each other which was useful ... as
has already been mentioned Kenwood went to the mat for us and gave us
integrated APRS radios. For seven years they were the only game in
town. Getting your drawers all scrunched up over the commercial aspect
of it is pointless and groundless. Kenwood more than earned their
place in the symbol table.

Whenever I go into a new area with APRS. I take a couple of minutes
and scan the station list. In the years I have had my D700 I have yet
to go into an area where Kenwood APRS radios didn't represent more
than 50% of the mobile stations on the list. Often that figure is
75-90%. I have done this very unscientific study of mine in Boston,
the Main Coast,Providence, Montreal, Albany, NYC, NNJ, SNJ,
Philadelphia at all hours of  the day and night.

I own 3 TMD-700's, two D7's and a TMD710. All the D7x0 series units
have voice modules and I take advantage of it to send   messages that
get announced (preface t he text of the message with a "%", I can do
so because the D700/D710/D7 tell me if my target station is one of its
brethren.

cheers ... BBR