Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] YaesuVX-8R)]

John B. Leonard, Jr. w9jbl at comcast.net
Wed May 21 07:03:18 EDT 2008

I'll have to disagree with the whole issue of spending any time on this.  In
a hobby which prides itself on public service, there's no reason to
broadcast radio brands on APRS.  It shouldn't be important to anybody
whether Joe Ham is using a KW, Alinco or Acme radio.

Also, to add any overhead to the APRS network to advertise a certain brand
of 2 meter radio will unnecessarily burden the system.

Our biggest concern should be that everything produced under the APRS
concept should work the same - even UI-View (which I use exclusively), even
though it seems that it wants to be treated differently than other APRS
clients.

73's
w9jbl