VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] Yaesu VX-8R)

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue May 20 17:06:40 EDT 2008

But... but... it's DIGITAL, doesn't that automatically make it better?  =]

Certainly the AMBE codec is going to cost them a bit, whether it's
licensing for the technology or the actual ASICs.  That shouldn't be
more than $20 or $30 - certainly one of the more expensive parts of the
radio, but I don't think it's enough to account for the price increase.

Repeater linking is the big advantage I've heard.  Of course, you can
make your backbone digital without having to make the user-access side
digital as well.  Anyone doing that?  With RF backbones, I mean, not
IRLP.  Getting a reliable 9600 baud link between fixed sites isn't that
hard, and you can get good performance without needing exotic codecs.  I
really don't care for the way AMBE makes everyone sound just a bit robotic.

Scott
N1VG