VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] Yaesu VX-8R)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue May 20 17:14:12 EDT 2008

Scott Miller wrote:

> Repeater linking is the big advantage I've heard.  Of course, you can
> make your backbone digital without having to make the user-access side
> digital as well.  Anyone doing that?  With RF backbones, I mean, not
> IRLP.  Getting a reliable 9600 baud link between fixed sites isn't
> that hard, and you can get good performance without needing exotic
> codecs.  I really don't care for the way AMBE makes everyone sound
> just a bit robotic.
>
> Scott
> N1VG

Not to mention the weird gurgling, sloshing hiccupping noises created
when any non-voice sound gets picked up by the mic that the AMBE codec
can't resolve into human speech components......      [This has public
safety types, especially fire commanders, really frustrated with P25
digital at incident scenes  with wind noise, traffic, sirens, swooshing
fire hoses, roaring generators, etc.]
--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map