VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] Yaesu VX-8R)

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Tue May 20 16:53:29 EDT 2008

As I understand it, the reason all that D-Star stuff is so expensive is
because they (Icom or whoever) has to pay a royalty for the technology.
It is not open source stuff as I once thought. This is probably why Icom
is the only one pushing it right now. Frankly, digital is nice, but
D-Star is not open, does not support native APRS, and is too expensive.
With the low usage of FM repeaters, what is the benefit of D-Star right
now with the low usage of the VHF and UHF bands? Sorry to get off topic
a bit.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com