VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] Yaesu VX-8R)

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue May 20 16:30:50 EDT 2008

Yikes - I saw a couple of those on people at Dayton and I was wondering
what they were going for.

I had my own version hiding way down at the far end of the booth, with
no display, and I don't think anyone noticed it.  It's just a mock-up
for now, a SiRFStar III receiver and Sarantel Geohelix SMP antenna
crammed into an old Radio Shack mic.  I can fit an OT1+ in there too,
but the real problem is power.

Getting a custom housing made with a battery compartment would be an
expensive proposition, and at least for SAR use a self-powered GPS mic
without field-replaceable batteries is unacceptable.  At least I have
the equipment now to fabricate prototypes, but not the mechanical design
ability.  It's something I'll be playing with as I have time, though.

Scott
N1VG