[aprssig] A wish for the next TM-D710A firmware update

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue May 20 11:17:10 EDT 2008

> It might even be cool to have something like this:  If the DigiMeter
> is low, and you're not receiving many packets at all, throw in an
> extra posit some short time period after successfully decoding a
> packet.  Of course it'd require a random short period, plus a
> dead-time in-between such so that we wouldn't get LOTS of packets by
> lots of stations all at once.

The Tracker2 does sort of the opposite.  If you set the NICE parameter
to a non-zero number, when it hears itself digipeated it'll skip that
many subsequent beacons.  Works well for keeping your rate down in the
city or places with good wide coverage, while still putting out enough
packets in areas of poor coverage.

It's also very simple to implement and didn't add more than a few bytes
of code.

Scott
N1VG