[aprssig] A wish for the next TM-D710A firmware update

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue May 20 10:48:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Rich Garcia wrote:

> I agree on the quality above quantity but how about those areas where
> coverage is nill to very poor ? In those cases quantity does help but in
> moderation. I just did a quick trip from SC to FL and back this past weekend
> and it came up. Many areas have poor to no coverage along I-95 and some
> areas you just hear an occasional packet. In those instances where there is
> a slight opportunity to get a position a higher rate will have a higher
> chance of getting digi'ed or heard by an I-Gate.
>
> Actually I would like to see a "MSBurst" key maybe...I know it could be a
> nightmare out in the general public but in those areas while you are driving
> sending a packet out every 30-45 seconds may actually work. Possibly once
> the "My Position" ack is received the high rate of speed would be
> deactivated to avoid potential abuse.

I think the HamHUD firmware has a DigiMeter that lets you know how
well you're getting digipeated, which may not be all that accurate
depending on how much local RF noise floor you have in your vehicle.

It might even be cool to have something like this:  If the DigiMeter
is low, and you're not receiving many packets at all, throw in an
extra posit some short time period after successfully decoding a
packet.  Of course it'd require a random short period, plus a
dead-time in-between such so that we wouldn't get LOTS of packets by
lots of stations all at once.

Somebody will probably shoot holes all through this idea, but just
throwing it out there.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer