[aprssig] What the? Local situational awareness?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun May 11 15:47:44 EDT 2008

Rick N8BJX wrote...

> (The symbol displayed is \n, a small red triangle) Object name: IRESC

That's a "node" symbol.

> Packets received: 21  Last heard: 05/11/2008 10:06:46
> Object from: IQ7ET
> Heard last via Internet on device 2  (rotate.aprs.net:14580)
> Data path: APU16N,IR8CSB,IR7AZ*,Wide7-4,Wide7-7,qAo,IZ7BOJ-11
> Comment 05/11 10:06 : Internat.Radio Emergency www.iresc.org
> Current power and gain: none
> Distance from my station: 46.9 miles Bearing from my station: 123.5
> Last Position: 05/11 10:06   42 04.610N 083 17.129W
> EN82ib

Looking at the website mentioned in their beacon, www.iresc.org seems to
be a site "to foster efficient collaboration between Radio Amateurs,
extending friendships across the world and providing international
emergency communications in times of need."

http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=IQ7ET&limit=1000

The station that generated the object IQ7ET claims to be at 40°38'26" N
17°2'18" E which is about 100 km +/- from the IGate that last gated it
in Italy. If you were seeing IRESC or IQ7ET on RF in Michigan, someone
near you was gating it to RF. However looking at what you quoted, it
looks like you got it via TCPIP from the APRS-IS using one of the
"rotate" servers. The symbol being used by IQ7ET itself seems to be
change from time to time. At various times it was a repeater or a node.
I suppose EE at other times would translate to an eyeball with an E
overlay, and Ec would be "ICP" with an E overlay. The station is using
an old 16 bit version of UI-View, and using a ridiculous path no matter
where it is located. Hopefully an Italian station can get in touch with
the operator and have a word with them about the path, and about the
lat/long they have entered for the object IRESC.

Going back to the object IRESC, it was last beaconed about 5 hours ago.

2008-05-11 14:06:54 UTC:
IQ7ET>APU16N,IR8CSB,IR7AZ*,WIDE7-4,WIDE7-7,qAo,IZ7BOJ-11:
;IRESC *231953z4204.61N\08317.13Wn Internat.Radio Emergency
www.iresc.org

However, it wasn't using the emergency symbol. Every one I looked at was
using \n which is the node symbol. Is it perhaps the word "Emergency"
that is triggering Xastir?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH