[aprssig] Voice Repeater ==> APRS Interface

Corey Shields cshields at indiana.edu
Thu May 8 18:11:07 EDT 2008

Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> I see a serious problem with the idea; maybe it's just my own fat
> fingered typing, but I don't see a write-only type data entry
> mechanism being accurate enough to be useful.  If I can't do APRS, I
> don't see any feedback of the data I have entered. The number of key
> presses required are variable, and the data is reasonably long.

I would have the same problem and barrier of entry preventing me from
using this type of setup.  I have a hard enough time "landing" on the
right letter when trying to SMS with a numbered keypad on a cell
phone...  If I were to do that on a keypad with no feedback display I'd
estimate a 75% success rate at best.  That success drops to close to
nothing if I didn't have a phone nearby with printed letters to
cross-reference with (my TH-22AT does not have letters printed along
with the numbered keys for instance).

The desired result is very commendable, but I don't see this
implementation as being very practical.

Cheers,
-Corey  KB9JHU

--
Corey Shields
High Performance Systems, Indiana University - UITS