[aprssig] Voice Repeater ==> APRS Interface

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu May 8 17:50:22 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> In 7 years, we still do not have APRStt (Touch tone).

I see a serious problem with the idea; maybe it's just my own fat
fingered typing, but I don't see a write-only type data entry
mechanism being accurate enough to be useful.  If I can't do APRS, I
don't see any feedback of the data I have entered. The number of key
presses required are variable, and the data is reasonably long.

Maybe some text messaging geniuses can do this much blind typing
accurately, but I sure couldn't.

Maybe the DTMF memories on many radios would allow one to preprogram
enough packets to do something interesting.

Aren't most repeater controllers embedded devices?  That software
change you've tossed out doesn't exactly sound trivial.  More than a
day, I'm guessing...

-Jason
kg4wsv