[aprssig] simple and cheap digapeater?

KG4LNG kg4lng at vordemberge.net
Thu May 8 15:55:30 EDT 2008

I am wondering what I need to setup a cheap and simple digapeater.  I live out in the middle of nowhere (Babb) Montana. As I drive into town to get groceries (180 mi round trip) I will hear an APRs packet about 3 or 4 times in the trip and that is it.  The whole area is covered by wide-area repeaters so I don't think it will be hard to get permission to put one up. The cost and lack of knowledge is the problem.  I think one in the are would be helpful because Glacier National Park is next door and the lack of cell phone coverage.  Eventually I want to put up a weather station locally but I think this area needs a digapeater first.
Note: I forgot to mention but if you had a APRs base station you can reach the diameters in Canada but not with a mobile or a portable.

Any help or advise would greatly be helpful.

73's and Thank you in advance,
Tacker, KG4LNG
kg4lng at vordemberge.net