[aprssig] Denver and Baltimore Airport Digi?

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Thu May 8 13:05:19 EDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I know that Denver has good coverage for mobiles, but with all
> the attenuating glass at the airport, maybe there could be a low
> power digi out there for people carrying their D7?...

The airport is about 50 miles or so from those mountains - they are a
lot further than they look.  The glass is also reflective glass,
which has a metallic film in them.

As for a low power digi by the airport, the airport is *huge* as far
as land coverage (largest in the US - by far; heck, one runway is
around 3 miles long, and that is a small fraction of the airport land
area - the airport owns tons of land to minimize noise complaints),
there are tower restrictions outside the airport, etc.  I would be
surprised if you could get a digi closer to the terminal than 5
miles, and probably not with a lot of tower height.  I'm not sure
that would be enough for a D7 inside a faraday cage.  I know that
even receiving the ATIS broadcasts off the airport property can be a
bit iffy with a mobile rig on the ground.