[aprssig] RE: BL is Back!

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 00:44:04 EDT 2008

  Sheesh!  Can't resist another 2 cents.  Hmmm.  Looks like I pegged it, eh?

  Just a few thoughts for this APRS (see! on topic) interloper (I have a long
story about an equally brazen bootlegger of the 70's.  We also had 'fun'
tracking it all down.  It is amazing how much info you can gather about such
folks, in the background...  - but another time.

   A Google pops up a lot of hits on this N number, many of them this sig's
posts, so yes, it's already public.

  It looks like Flight tracker had a (recent ?) flight plan by the plane,
because Google had a hit with his N number (but it's, of course, dead now).
Not a surprise, for sure.
FlightAware > Live Flight Tracker > N4243B
N4243B Flight Tracker (en route flights, arrivals, departures, history) with
maps.
flightaware.com/live/flight/N4243B

 Speculating he either flew back to Calif [I'm not familiar enough with this
craft ]
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N4243B.html
- so I'd say - possible, but it's not very likely.
   OR
    didn't have it running while driving or commercial flight:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=N4243B&start=9999&geo=usa.geo

  IIR, the other IDs he was playing with were W6's...He knows how to program
the aricraft symbol, so he knows precisely what he's doing.  He's been off
since mid day thursday (to Sat eve.) in Rancho del Ray.

   I'd have expected it would have been hard for him to resist have it running
for the (drive) trip back - unless he thought a few days might let the heat die
down.
   At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if that defensive "boss" fella, isn't
'in' on it.  Thou doth protest too much...

  The thing to do is to collect the data - as much as you can without
confronting the guy (sort of already done), or tresspassing in any way [can
kill it].  Get APRS-IS data as well as pix of the car, whatever.  Even movies
of the car with an antenna-less receiver playing his strong beacons...then turn
it over to the regional office and/or Riley. The more (good) sluth work you do
for them, the more they like it and the further they'll take it - for all the
free legwork we provide.  Been there. Done that.

-- "Wes wrote:
> Now, if you guys are going to put big sticky labels on people's windshields,
   Bad idea in general...easily messes the effort up.

   Let him play...or not.  Either way, all the data is neatly captured already.
 In any case, not the brightest filiment in the string.

73, Steve, K9DCI
BTW: That's a reference to vacuum tubes for you youngesters...  (;-)

--
73, Steve, K9DCI