[aprssig] RE: N4243B is Back!

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sat May 3 22:16:32 EDT 2008

Now, if you guys are going to put big sticky labels on people's windshields,
I think I might program a tiny track with a fixed GPS position of a
neighbor's house, make the beacon text match his car (ie blue honda civic),
and assign the tracker a vulgar tactical call.  Then I just have to sit back
at watch the fireworks.  I guess what I'm trying to say here is let's not be
too eager to track a pirate station with his GPS coordinates alone.  And
let's not take to some vigilante enforcement.... slow and steady wins the
race every time.  The most we should do is help collect info and data and
forward it to the FCC to deal with in a proper way that can't be screwed up
so that the guy gets off on a technicality.

Gosh, I never though I could be so level headed.... lol.
Wes

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:30 PM, <dick at kb7zva.com> wrote:

> >This is fun.  We should be well practiced not only to hunt down
> >the easy GPS reports but to also be able to DF etc.  The fun
> >part will be keeping up with this guy as he changes calls to
> >avoid our wrath.  SO some secondary sleuthing should nail down
> >those places where he stops at (house, work, airfield) so that
> >when he changes his call again, we simply know where to look.
> >
> >In fact, the original APRS (ans I assume the clones) has a
> >proximity detector that you can set around a certain area.   If
> >an APRS mobile enters that area, an alarm goes off.  So even if
> >this guy disappears again, such a "proximity alarm" set on his
> >house with say a 1 mile range would let us know when he is
> >back... Under a different alias...
> >
> >Bob, WB4aPR
>
> He wants to play in our sand-box, let him ;-)
>
> Three steps ahead of ya Bob <g>. And yes, this guy wants to play
> we are going to let him. Have no intention to block his packets
> from the APRS-IS. That would take away from all the fun. If
> anything we will accommodate him to the hand-cuffs. The only
> question is who gets him first... I really hope it's APRS users that
> find him and hope he drives a late model SUV <g>. Suppose the
> FCC will recognize our efforts? That will be neat.
>
> 73,
> Dick, KB7ZVA
> APRSWest - Tier 2 Networks

Wes
---
Where there's silence, there is no Hope.