[aprssig] What it could be if only... [was: SMART Networks]

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 11:33:45 EDT 2008

--- Rich Garcia <k4gpsc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have come to the conclusion that nothing will just
> work and nothing will be easy for a travler on APRS.

APRS is needed now, more than ever but there is too
much "noise" in the system to allow it to be useful as
a situational awareness system in an official capacity
(beyond "hobby level").  By "noise", I mean barriers
to full success.  These barriers exist at the network
level (poorly configured digi's) and
antiquated/limited functionality clients.

THIS CAN CHANGE, however.  Bob's vision for APRS is
spot on.  APRS needs national, regional and local
leadership to unify things.

It can be done, but given the ad-hoc nature of APRS'
growth, there will be some pain.  In the end, there is
*much* to gain.  Are there leaders out there who are
able to spend the time to be successful (not just go
through the motions)?

Ev, W2EV