[aprssig] SMART Networks

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 18:10:00 EDT 2008

I have come to the conclusion that nothing will just work and nothing will
be easy for a travler on APRS. I got tired of the 2 radio/tnc/GPS/laptop
configuration so I bought a D710A after many years of piece meal systems. I
drove from the Charlotte to the NYC metro area along I-77 / 81 and 78
yesterday arriving today.

Along most of that trip there was good APRS coverage except in the Northern
NC area then in the Harrisburg - Reading area. Good coverage means I could
hear STRONG SOLID packets since I like to watch the road and not my display
most of the time. What I did notice in some areas that even though there
were solid packets if I sent a position report out I never heard my packet
get retransmitted.

I just got into the hotel and using aprs.fi I redrew my path and stations
along it. Seems that yes some areas are still void of APRS but NOT very
much. Other areas are just not WIDE-N capable and still using
WIDE/RELAY/TRACE. Some digis do not specify but by looking at nearby
stations to the digi I can see they use WIDE in their path so apparently the
digi is still a WIDE.

I have been a ham for a lot of years, played on and off with APRS (mostly
on) since the beta days of APRSdos and really done nothing but APRS over all
of these years except build a few repeaters or try PSK. If someone that
cares about APRS and is at least somewhat familiar with it can not keep
track of what way to digi while doing 70mph down the interstate how is that
going to make those new people feel about the application? If you got to be
changing paths all the time and not able to concentrate on the trip is it
worthwhile? I forgot about all of this since I ran APRS mobile for MANY
years over my Verizon AirCard, never had to bother with digi's for many
years.

No one can force anyone to do anything in amateur radio but bottom line is
if everyone can not come to a single common way to run it's operation things
like APRS should be considered more a local service than a public service
and not advertised that way? Actually in some cases like the panhandle of
Florida APRS was taken to another frequency since they were not interested
in the things going around them. I think that is long gone now but it was
actually a good idea for them and for everyone else in the long run. If you
have a digi on .39 and budlist out people and want your own "private"
network so be it but why take up .39 which is meant for travelers? There are
plenty of frequencies out there.. Same goes for the WIDE-N or WIDE/RELAY
situation, if everyone else in the area try your best...ask for help if
needed but use the new paragrim so that travelers that are in the area are
able to get out.

One other quirk I noticed...while I was listening there are a few stations
in the Blacksburg area I believe with some HUGE dwait times. When listening
to the frequency it seems like some of the packets have a 2+ second dwait
time before the real packet goes out. The frequency in the area sounds
really busy but it probably is not.

Rich