[aprssig] Considering buying a D7 - Some Basic Questions

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 11:05:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Steve Noskowicz <noskosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Specific questions:
>
>  Does it have an in-radio charger?

yes.

>  >  If so, is it a wall transformer / power supply with that really small inverted
>  (female) power plug?

yes.

>  Can the radio transmit on the above charger?

No.  even worse, operating the radio is a net loss - the radio must be
turned off in order to charge with the factory wall wart.

>  Is the supplied GPS cable &  2.5mm connector similar to the D700 one? (very
>  thin, soft and fairly long)

The D7 has a right angle connector; the D700 is straight.  Otherwise,
they are identical.

>  What is the PC connector?

Same as the GPS connector - 3/32" (2.5mm) 3 conductor stereo cable.

>  I'm pretty sure the interface is TTL

nope, it's true RS232.

>  Comments welcome on:
>     I believe I've heard that the battery life is a bit short.

Abysmally so.

>     Anything else.

The factory rubber duck antenna sucks, but then lots of them do.

-Jason
kg4wsv