[aprssig] Low-cost weather station

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Mar 27 22:59:15 EDT 2008

It's bothered me for a while that the AAG TAI-8515 station is about the
only low-cost, low-power station out there for APRS use.  It also gets
kind of expensive when you start adding more sensors.

I've found a manufacturer in China that produces home weather stations
(they might make LaCrosse's stations, I'm not sure - the hardware is
very similar) and I've negotiated a price on just the mechanical parts.
  That includes wind speed, wind direction, rain gauge, 2-piece metal
mast, mounting arms, cables, and assorted mounting hardware.

I can produce a small interface circuit that'll output serial data for
use with a PC weather program, or for direct connection to a TNC.  The
interface board itself will add at least temperature, and it could
conceivably have humidity and pressure sensors as well.

I think there's enough market for a display-less weather station that
doesn't rely on battery-powered wireless links to make it worth doing
(it'll mean buying a few hundred units), but I'd appreciate feedback.  I
think it might make a good companion to my integrated
tracker/transceiver unit, too.

Scott
N1VG