[aprssig] Low-cost weather station

Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx at k1lnx.net
Fri Mar 28 10:37:22 EDT 2008

Sounds good to me. I'll be moving soon and one of the things on my shopping
list for the new house is a decent weather station with APRS support.

I would say I'd like to have a display though, but that could be added
seperately I suppose.

Sounds like a great idea and if the price was right I would definitely be
interested in it.

73
Stephen
K1LNX

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Scott Miller <scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> It's bothered me for a while that the AAG TAI-8515 station is about the
> only low-cost, low-power station out there for APRS use.  It also gets
> kind of expensive when you start adding more sensors.
>
> I've found a manufacturer in China that produces home weather stations
> (they might make LaCrosse's stations, I'm not sure - the hardware is
> very similar) and I've negotiated a price on just the mechanical parts.
>  That includes wind speed, wind direction, rain gauge, 2-piece metal
> mast, mounting arms, cables, and assorted mounting hardware.
>
> I can produce a small interface circuit that'll output serial data for
> use with a PC weather program, or for direct connection to a TNC.  The
> interface board itself will add at least temperature, and it could
> conceivably have humidity and pressure sensors as well.
>
> I think there's enough market for a display-less weather station that
> doesn't rely on battery-powered wireless links to make it worth doing
> (it'll mean buying a few hundred units), but I'd appreciate feedback.  I
> think it might make a good companion to my integrated
> tracker/transceiver unit, too.
>
> Scott
> N1VG

Stephen Brown - ARS K1LNX