[aprssig] Free Ham Mobile Web Page (MAP.FINDU.COM)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 25 18:20:39 EDT 2008

Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> A far simpler "lite" installation would consist of
>> running UI-Instant Messenger on a WiFi-equipped laptop.
>>

> Except that it requires internet access.

Internet access is becoming ever more ubiquitous via WiFi in public
places and/or over cellphones.

FYI, quasi-dialup Internet access is available over Verizon or Sprint
CDMA cellphones connected to a laptop with a USB cable, WITHOUT signing
up for a data plan.   You set up a standard Windows  dialup "connectoid"
to dial the number #777 (or you can actually have it dial an existing
dialup ISP number) using the simulated modem inside the phone.  The only
cost is airtime minutes, meaning that after 9PM or on weekends, it
doesn't cost anything.  You get a "blistering" 14.4K connection that is
nearly useless for web surfing but is entirely adequate for blasting off
a few APRS packets to a web server.  (It's faster than 1.2K over the
air......)

WiFi access is almost everywhere now on the road. (Highway dept rest
stops in Iowa and some in Texas offer free acess from your car.)   An
increasing number of independent coffee shops and restaurants offer free
WiFi. The latest development is that Starbucks WiFi hotspots previously
operated by T-Mobile (for an hourly or monthly charge) are being taken
over by ATT.  If you have ATT/Yahoo DSL service at home, you will be
able to use the Starbucks hot spots FOR FREE by using your own email
address and password for login.

> I guess I am still trying to appeal to the ham radio operator
> that does have a TNC somewhere in his piles of junk, and should
> be reminded to exercise it now and then for RF digital comms.
>
> Hummh... MAYBE...  What we need to define is the minimum setup
> of AGWPE so that a laptop with sound card plugged into the
> mobile Mic jack could do the above, that is, send out a grid
> square posit, some objects, and some messages without all the
> other APRS bloat?

The ]free edition of AGWpe + UI-Instant-Messenger is all you need.  Any
P-II or higher laptop has enough processor horsepower to run the AGW
interface.   The most hassle-free soundcard interface would be the
Tigertronics Signalink.  This $69 interface uses a tone-detecting
VOX-operated interface to eliminate the hassle of a serial port
connection to key the radio PTT.   Or my own homebrew tone-keyed
interface at:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/ham/tonekeyer.htm>

Or "shoot the moon" for the Tigertronics USB interface which
incorporates an entire second "sound card" and interface at the end of a
USB cable for about $100.

Assuming the laptop is a modern one with built-in WiFi, you have all you
need to message EITHER through the Internet -or- over-the-air since
UI-Instant Messenger can work over either AGW or TCP/IP.

If you opt for the paid "Pro" version of AGW (rather than the freeware
version) , you can even do this on HF with the sound card interface
since AGW Pro will generate 300 baud packet with standard 1600/1800 Hz
"KAM-style" packet tones.   [The freeware version of AGW will generate
300 baud but it does it with the 2100/2300 Hz tone pair that is
problematic with the SSB passband of many HF rigs.]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps