[aprssig] Free Ham Mobile Web Page (MAP.FINDU.COM)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Mar 25 17:57:45 EDT 2008

tiny tracks and open tracks are really simple....and cheap...  two modes on
each controlled by a switch to send two canned messages.  I think the open
track has a firmware that can send 4 or 5 messages at the flick of a
switch.  headless GPS units are now in the $50 range.  I'd rather carry a
HT, GPS and opentrack with 5 canned messages than a laptop, tnc and radio.
But the point about map.findu.com/ai4px-9 is well taken for family at home
wanting to know your status and whereabouts.

Wes
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> >> Spread this around to your non-APRS ham friends:
> >> -------------------------------------------------
> >> Does everyone realize that they all have their
> >> own callsign WEB page that they can update
> >> anywhere, anytime, via ham radio and even without
> >> internet access?
> >
> > This is going to take more than "a TNC with you in
> > your car". It will amount to a full-blown mobile
> > laptop  APRS installation....
>
> I guess the original idea came from the AMSAT mobile guy who had
> a laptop and admitted to knowing packet, but has never operated
> APRS.  But you are right.  Even though the technician and
> general exams now do include some basic understanding of packet,
> we still are losing the ability of many new hams to communicate
> digitally over RF.
>
> > A far simpler "lite" installation would consist of
> > running UI-Instant Messenger on a WiFi-equipped laptop.
>
> Except that it requires internet access.
>
> I guess I am still trying to appeal to the ham radio operator
> that does have a TNC somewhere in his piles of junk, and should
> be reminded to exercise it now and then for RF digital comms.
>
> Hummh... MAYBE...  What we need to define is the minimum setup
> of AGWPE so that a laptop with sound card plugged into the
> mobile Mic jack could do the above, that is, send out a grid
> square posit, some objects, and some messages without all the
> other APRS bloat?
>
> Actually, that would be the better minimilist subset for
> maintaining one's own map.find.com/callsign web page via RF
> while traveling...
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

Failure is success if we learn from it.