[aprssig] Small LINUX build

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Thu Mar 13 15:46:57 EDT 2008

How did you get SUSE down to size ?

I run the full blown one.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg D." <ko6th_greg at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 12:47 PM
Subject: RE: [aprssig] Small LINUX build

Agreed, Scott.  I have installed a fairly complete version of SuSE Linux on
a 512mb flash, with space left over, for use in an imbedded controller
project at work.  Doing a regular install and leaving out the big things
(X-windows, KDE/Gnome, and all the X-based stuff mainly) was easier than
hunting down a small footprint Distro, since I've been using SuSE for many
years.  There's still a lot of stuff I don't need (CUPS, and a bunch of
other things), but it fit, so I stopped there.

I've seen Linux run completely from a floppy disk (but it didn't do much),
and there are several distros that fit easily and run completely from a CD
ROM, one in particular fits on the small "credit card" size 50mb disk.  I
find they are particularly useful for recovering crashed Windows PCs...

Have fun,

Greg  KO6TH