[aprssig] Small LINUX build

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 13 12:51:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Scott Miller wrote:

> Does 1GB even count as small?  I think I used a 32 MB flash card last
> time I loaded up a Soekris box (I forget the distro).  Didn't have any
> room for a development environment, but no shortage of space for services.
>
> Most of my Linux boxes used to have drives in the 200 MB range.  Just
> install Debian (or your own favorite distro) and take out the packages
> you don't need.  X is a big one to leave out if you don't need graphics.

I believe I've gotten it down to less than 20MB before.  Closer to
10 as I recall, but that was a long time ago.

More recently I started with the ZipSlack distribution, which
installs in under 100MB, then added a few of the 'X' series of
packages to add X11 to it.  After I got that working I went back and
took out a bunch of packages I didn't need in order to make more
room.  That gave me a complete development and runtime environment
for Xastir.