[aprssig] HF APRS Transceiver

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Mar 7 19:51:57 EST 2008

We've long had manufacturers of HF mobile rigs in Australia. Alf Traeger
was enormously responsible for HF communications in outback Australia.
In conjunction with the Reverend John Flynn (Flynn of the Inland) Alf
Traeger was responsible for the original Flying Doctor radio network
that still serves remote Outback Australia. Alf Traeger manufactured the
Traeger brand of HF mobile. My Tracker Lynx, although manufactured by
another company, has Traeger branded PC boards. Both of those companies
are now gone but companies such as Codan and Barrett are still
manufacturing HF radios.

With distances between towns being so great, and the cost of installing
VHF/UHF/mobile phone infrastructure being so high, there is still
widespread use of HF mobiles by Police, Ambulance, Emergency Services,
Mining Companies, Flying Doctor Network, 4WD tourists, etc, in
Australia. The famous Birdsville Track which runs between Birdsville and
Maree is nearly 500km of nothing (except bulldust - very fine,
powder-like dust), and that's a short road compared with some. The
Canning Stock Route in Western Australia is 1100km of nothing, and even
the towns at each end are a long way from civilisation. It's easy to see
why we still depend so much on HF communications.

Today's radios are synthesised but earlier models were crystal locked
with, perhaps up to 15 channels. The upper operating frequency is around
10MHz for some older models and around 16MHz for more recent. It may be
that the synthesised units go from 2-30MHz. The older radios were
physically large compared with a modern ham HF rig but they are usually
particularly easy to work on. Most are rated to 100W PEP although I tend
to peg mine back to around 35W.

As for availability, I don't know of any single supplier. Many two-way
radio repair shops around the place have probably stumbled across the
odd unit from time to time but given that many of these radios are used
by government agencies that have a return to base policy, they are more
likely disposed of in bulk at auction. You could try Ebay for second
hand or take a look at the Codan and Barrett web sites for new. Codan
has international outlets so they may have something in the US. Their
web site lists overseas agents.
http://www.codan.com.au/
http://www.barrettcommunications.com.au/

My Codan 6801 MkII uses numerous, epoxy sealed modules that I would not
like to have to replace, if they're still available. A US purchaser
would need to be wary of such models. However, the Codan 7727 and my
Tracker Lynx use garden variety components throughout so that
replacement wouldn't be an issue. PA devices are garden variety Motorola.

My Kemwood TS430 has been in use on packet for 6 or 7 years. It saw BBS
service on 30m, went to 40m, saw 20m for a while and now it's on 30m
APRS. I have the low-power plug fitted to reduce to about 50W PEP and I
only drive it to about 35W. It seems to just plod away.

Ray vk2tv