[aprssig] Qt Tk APRS clients

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Mar 5 12:12:47 EST 2008

> I have been doing some research on making my own
> APRS client under LINUX.
> My mission is pretty simple, put circles and
> dots showing the position of objects.

Maybe I am missing something, but XASTIR is already written as a
pretty good APRS client under linux.  And I think it welcomes
other contributions.  They have a few items on their to-do list,
and so if you are able to write under linux, maybe your best
contributions would be to help them get the rest of APRS into
XASTIR..?

One thing we don't need necessarily is more maps showing circles
and dots.  What we need more of is the conveyance to the end
users all of the information that was supposed to be exchanged
between end users and in a consistent manner so we are all
speaking the same tune and all seeing the same information
presentation in a simliar manner.

End-user consistence in performance of the transfer of
information is the objective..  Putting objects on maps (once
you have the map system) is really only the tip of the iceberg.
We have too many "APRS" map displays now that then never get
around to fully implementing the rest of the protocol, and we
end up spiriling APRS down into a lowest common denominator of
just circles and dots on maps, instead of the full networked
communications syustem it is supposed to be...

Just something to consider.

Bob, Wb4APR