[aprssig] So long.... APRS-IS officially has lost 1/2it's servers.

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sun Mar 2 16:02:05 EST 2008

Scott,

You or anyone else is always encouraged to try to write your own server
software.  Some have.  javAPRSSrvr has become the standard due to its
stability, the stability it enforces on APRS-IS, the server-side
filtering (not written by me, BTW), compatibility with existing
software, etc.

I realize that you get frustrated when you can't see the code, but you
can't.  You are right that I have my legitimate reasons for not creating
javAPRSSrvr as open-source and for keeping it that way.  The q algorithm
is published.  The server requirements are published (see
www.aprs-is.net).  aprsD is open-source if you want to look at some
server code that isn't as comprehensive as javAPRSSrvr for a start.

Have fun!

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net