[aprssig] Police-9/10 station

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 18 14:33:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 02:25:07PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <k1lnx at k1lnx.net> flavor, containing:
> Is that legal?

Depends on how the user is doing it.

> I know we can operate using tactical callsigns, but don't
> we have to ID using some other method?

Yes, the station itself needs to id somehow.  You can't tell from the single
object report whether that station is doing so.  The user might be (and probably
is) identifying in other packets.

As Bob B. described his usage recently, he runs his normal D7xx with his own
call-sign, but then switches to a PM that has been set up with the POLICE call
sign.  When seeing a police car nearby, he switches to that PM, beacons a few
times then switches back.

Used this way, there is no problem with the FCC ID requirements, as his station
is identifying normally for all but a few beacons.  There is no requirement
that every packet contain the station's call sign.   Only if the station
forgets to turn back to its own call sign after beaconing and then continues
to beacon the object name for more than ten minutes without including its own
FCC call sign would there be any sort of issue with failure to ID.

Putting the originating call sign in a comment field would probably satisfy
most curious users who want to know "who's doing this?"  and would guard against
problems should one forget to turn back to normal beaconing but it is certainly
not a necessary step to statisfy the FCC ID requirement.