[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 48, Issue 11

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 11 17:46:06 EDT 2008

Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> The issue of what to do when you don't have an internet connection, is getting
> to be a smaller issue.  My verizon USB modem works amazingly well.  With D-Star
> data radios, there are possibilities there too.

My primary emphasis in Amateur Radio is emergency communications, and
depending on an application that requires an internet connection is
planning for failure IMHO.  One that uses the internet when available,
OK. But if it won't operate as a standalone app with nothing but Amateur
RF connectivity I'm not wasting time or disk space on it.

Is there anything in the offing for ICOM to  tie D-Star into APRS? Or
are they still sticking to a proprietary GPS data exchange?  I haven't
played with it due to the expense of the equipment, and won't until I
know for a fact it will interface with the APRS world. For local ops
around here the voice capabilities are more "gee, that's nice" and not
worth the expense at this time.

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS