[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 48, Issue 11

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 17:54:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Randy Allen <ka0azs at earthlink.net> wrote:
> My primary emphasis in Amateur Radio is emergency communications, and
> depending on an application that requires an internet connection is
> planning for failure IMHO.

Exactly.   I tell folks that yeah, with two cell phones and a billion
dollars worth of infrastructure you can talk to each other, but with
just a couple of HTs you have a complete communications network, even
if you're on the dark side of the moon.  I like to apply the "dark
side of the moon" test scenario to my APRS rig as well.

I've got DSL at home. If the power goes out, I lose network, even if
my part of the network gear is on backup power.  So much for online
maps...

-Jason
kg4wsv